Monday, April 4, 2011

Stained glass view

"People are like stained glass windows; they sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light within." ~Elisabeth Kubler-Ross~

Isn't that the truth. Almost anyone can put a smile on their face and be upbeat when the sun is shining. The true test of character, is when darkness falls.

I know several people who breeze through the happy times nonchalantly, with a sense of entitlement. And certainly they are entitled to be happy. They are carefree and careless with themselves, their finances and their friendships -after things are going great, why should they worry about anything or anyone else. As the saying goes, make hay while the sun shines.

When they suddenly hit a rough patch, all of a sudden, their personality changes, they make comments like "My life is just crap!" ( Their WHOLE life, not just the past couple weeks).

They are the 'why-me's', the 'it's-not-fairs', the 'poor-me's'. They forget the joy and fun of just a few weeks ago and now they can only focus on their own misery, their loss, their hardship. You can see the self pity sitting on their shoulders and there is no spark, no light within. As much as I sympathize with their new situation, I wonder how they can have forgotten all that came before. 

I'm sure you know these people - they get a bad run of coughs, colds and sprained ankles and they are moaning that they just can't catch a break. In fact we live in a society that feeds off the negative, encourages public moaning and whining and loves an good drama.

Then there are those people who seem to sparkle and blossom no matter what is happening in their life. They view the ups and downs of life as speed bumps not complete roadblocks. They can still uphold the good and joyful parts of life even when there are some negatives. They look for the silver lining, the rainbow and the pot of gold. They are awesome people to be around and you just feel better in their presence...

I have a close friend who is exactly like that, she is like a firefly who lights up even the darkest room with gentle beauty and love. She has had her share of sorrows and yet she finds things to be grateful for. She doesn't ask "why me?" she asks" what can I learn here? What is the lesson?". She is someone who people gravitate towards, her positive energy and joyful approach to life is addictive and inspiring.

Sadly society doesn't really go much for that- it doesn't get high ratings on prime time, doesn't look like much as a headline, and with no bitching, moaning catfight, there's no ringside entertainment. Someone smiling without a good reason is weird, and a grateful, joyful heart must mean they are a religious fruit loop. 

I have always been a pretty upbeat person, but I had developed some toxic friendships with sour, negative people, and I realised over Christmas 2010 I was starting to think like them, looking for the negative in people and situations. What a sad way to spend my life.

At the beginning of this year, I decided to make a conscious effort to embrace all that is good in my life, to focus on my blessings and to reflect that in what I say and do. So I am stepping out, happily and joyfully allowing my light to shine from the inside. I have many blessings, a few troubles and plenty of love to support me through. 




Bouncing around in my bubble of Happy,


Love
Lisa
xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, please be kind and respectful. We all have different views of the world, sharing your view with gentle words is appreciated.xxx Lisa